or gan ic
The organic crop production standards require that:
Land must have had no prohibited substances applied to it for at least 3 years before the harvest of an organic crop.
Soil fertility and crop nutrients will be managed through tillage and cultivation practices, crop rotations, and cover crops, supplemented with animal and crop waste materials and allowed synthetic materials.
Crop pests, weeds, and diseases will be controlled primarily through management practices including physical, mechanical, and biological controls. When these practices are not sufficient, a biological, botanical, or synthetic substance approved for use on the National List may be used.
Operations must use organic seeds and other planting stock when available.
The use of genetic engineering, ionizing radiation and sewage sludge is prohibited.
- As defined by the USDA
sus tain a ble
2. of, relating to, or being a method of harvesting or using a resource so that the resource is not depleted or permanently damaged.
- As defined by Merriam-Webster dictionary
GRANSTROM FARMS SUSTAINABILITY GOALS
Increase the organic matter in our soil by .5 % each year.
Every engine on our farm shall be at least tier 4 compatible by 2025.
When manufacturing fertilizer pellets made with chicken manure, create a water curtain to catch ammonium nitrogen before it is released into the air by 2022.
Why Organic Matter, Matters
Organic material contains acids that can make plant roots more permeable, improving their uptake of water and nutrients, and it can dissolve minerals within the soil, leaving them available for plant roots. Many organic amendments also provide some additional nutrients to the soil, although the organic matter is not considered fertilizer.
- Marie Iannotti (The Spruce.com)
FUN FARMING FACTS
There are more soil microorganisms in one teaspoon of healthy soil than there are people on Earth!
Average percent of organic matter found in midwest US fields today is 2.5%. Granstrom Farms continues to increase our organic matter after years of detoxifying the land, and restoring the soil.
Learn 9 More Facts from the USDA about Healthy soils.
EPA Tier 4 Emission Standards
Over the lifetime of the MY 2017-2025 standards, this program is projected to save approximately 4 billion barrels of oil and 2 billion metric tons of GHG emissions, with net benefits up to $451 billion.
Rodale Institue Farming System Trail
- Organic yields match conventional yields.
- Organic outperforms conventional in years of drought.
- Organic farming systems build rather than deplete soil organic matter, making it a more sustainable system.
- Organic farming uses 45% less energy and is more efficient.
- Conventional systems produce 40% more greenhouse gasses.
- Organic farming systems are more profitable than conventional.
Read the full 30 year report here